About the Club

History

The Roseburg Country Club was founded in 1922 with the purchase of 93.30 acres of land. The plan was for a 9 Hole course to be created. The Club incorporated on September 25th, 1922 and at this time hired R.W. Jones to design the original Clubhouse. Construction was completed in 1923 and the new Clubhouse was unveiled for a cost of $5,300.00.

The Club enjoyed growth and prosperity until the advent of the depression. The economic chaos of the time was overcome by the willingness and self-sacrifice of its members. Records indicate that the Club reorganized, and since that time has steadily made additions and improvements.

By 1960 the original Clubhouse was in need of renovation. At that time the Club’s membership voted rather than doing that it would construct a new facility. The second Clubhouse was built by Jack Mathis Construction of Roseburg. In addition to this, in 1968 a $60,000 irrigation project was completed.

Man raking sand trap

The 1970’s brought many exciting changes. During 1976 new cart paths were constructed on the golf course. By 1978 the membership had voted to expand the Roseburg Country Club to an 18-Hole, Par 71 Golf Course. In 1979 sixty-two additional acres were purchased, and Gary Roger Baird Inc. was hired to design the expanded golf course. Construction commenced and the Club celebrated the completion in 1980. The Club prospered with a full membership that required the need of a waiting list for prospective members.

By 1993 our membership again undertook a new project. Through primarily volunteer labor, the membership constructed a maintenance facility to house the golf course equipment and staff. By 1998 the membership voted to elevate the Club’s course to a par 72. This ten month project included the renovation of four holes and the driving range, resulting in the desired par 72 along with increasing the year-round playability.

Shortly thereafter the membership participated in a survey to evaluate future plans for the Club. The outcome of this survey revealed a number of items for consideration. The majority of our members were in favor of improvements to our clubhouse and golf course.

With this type of membership support, the first undertaking was geared towards the golf course. New greens were built along with aggressive sand capping campaign and extensive irrigation changes.

The next undertaking was the swimming pool facility. Construction was completed in 2002, giving the Roseburg Country Club one of the finest outdoor facilities in Douglas County. It also added another enhancement for family memberships.

Clubhouse

The largest undertaking that came from the survey was a new clubhouse. Many areas of the current clubhouse were failing, so solutions were proposed, reviewed, refined and re-analyzed. After extensive consideration, and meetings with contractors, architects and consultants, the Board of Directors made the decision to build a new facility. They essentially used the same building footprint as had existed before. Goals and concepts were lined out in advance for the entire membership.